With fall finally here, the time to start running your furnace or HVAC unit has finally arrived. While the temperatures are fairly moderate right now, here very soon, it will not be the same. So you’ll want to be ready for cold days and even colder nights.
Here are some plumber’s tips on getting your HVAC unit or furnace running smoothly, while saving some money in the process.
1. Check and replace your filter. It was probably early in the season last year when you replaced it, so there’s no better time than now to pop in a new one.
2. While the sun is still warm, open your blinds to let the heat in. This will keep your HVAC or furnace from running so much, saving you money in the process.
3. Flip the switch on your ceiling fan. This will reverse the spinning motion, sending warm air to the floor.
4. Check your thermostat to ensure it is working properly. Invest in an electronic programmable model for the most accurate measurement of heat.
5. Check your windows and doors for drafts. Even a slight draft can alter the ambient temperature in your home by several degrees.
6. If you are working with a fan-forced unit and not an HVAC, clean all of your vents before firing up the heat. Clear any debris and dust that could be blown into your home.
7. Check around your home or in rooms you may not use very often to be sure no vents are obstructed. An obstructed vent can cause your unit to work harder to heat your open by restricting circulation.
8. Have your unit serviced once a year. It’s your best defense in keeping it running cleanly, smoothly, and efficiently.
For more information on how we can hep you, please contact us any time.