This summer, save money on your electric bill by following these ten simple summer electrical tips:Do not run your dishwasher, washing machine or dryer during the day. Using these appliances during the day adds heat and humidity to your house and causes your air conditioner to work harder. Save energy by using these appliances in the early morning or late evening.
- Wash your dishes and clothes with cold or warm water. Not using hot water will reduce your use of your water heater.
- Turn your Energy Star water heater down to 120 degrees and save some extra money by not setting it too high.
- Make sure you are using Energy Star rated appliances. This is a simple and easy way to save on your energy bill year round.
- Unplug equipment that is not in use. Your cell phone and computer chargers still use energy and produce heat when they are plugged in but not charging your electronics. Unplugging equipment you are not using will add up to discounts on your electric bill.
- Use energy efficient compact florescent lights. These energy efficient light bulbs last considerable longer than old school incandescent bulbs. They also create and add less heat to your home.
- Turn off lights that are not in use! This always helps reduce your electricity bill.
- Remember to enjoy your BBQ this summer and turn off that stove! Your stove and oven can add considerable heat to your home, and increasing your cooling costs. Consider using your BBQ and countertop appliances for cooking in the summer.
- Get rid of any holes and cracks around windows and doors. Make sure your home is well insulated. This will help to eliminate the loss of cool air and save on energy usage.
- Set your thermostat to 78 degrees when you are away. You will see up to 3% saving for every degree you turn your thermostat up when you are away for more than eight hours. No need to cool your home when you are not present!